Although most of 4G cars have a reverse camera, mine doesn’t. It has a perfectly good back and front PDC which is more than enough for me but there wasn’t much else to tinker on the car so here it is. It’s fairly easy retrofit and the most dificult part is the wiring as usual.
There are several parts you need for this:
- Module – the A6 part number is 4G0907441 but you can use a module from A8 – 4h0907441 – whatever you find cheaper from eBay, or at least that’s what I did.
- Camera – camera number is 7P6827566 but you can get a cheap China clone which is actually better than the original one. I got the original one since I got a “kit” from ebay, but many people write that they’re replacing their Audi-fitted cameras with the chinese ones which are super cheap (check in aliexpress).
- Wiring Harness – got one from Kufatec. It’s just not worth the hassle to do your own cables or bother stripping it of another car.
Wiring and Assembly
Here’s a diagram that will show you what goes where. Of course, kufatec will not send you manuals so you can buy their overprised full kits and even more overprised coding dongles, so here it is:
- Camera Module
- Link to the parking module
- Power and ground
- Link to the MMI unit in the front
The assembly is simple but requires the removal of a number of panels. My car is Avant, so the parking module is in the rear – back of the car. Here’s how you to link it 1 – Camera, 2, 4 – Can & Parking Module connection, 3 – MMI Unit link.
Here’s where to link the cable in the MMI unit.
Link the CAN in the trunk in the usual location. Pin 21 – Low, Pin 22 – High, if there are wires there, splice them and link to it.
The power is easy, you will see good grounding point, with few brown wires already grounded there. Until 2014 – link to the permanent positive, after 2015 you must use ignition lead power location. Just use a multimeter and link to a location you find appropriate.
The easiest way to do it is through the green menu. Just go through the car installation list, enable the camera and then in the cardiagsettings enable it to visualize. That’s it 🙂
Last, you may need to calibrate your camera. That should be done in an official Audi dealer. Check if there’s a camera error for the calibration after you’re done with the setup to see if it is necessary.